[SDL] I'm losing detail with SDL_Image

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Mon Sep 4 06:25:03 PDT 2006

On Monday 04 September 2006 14:37, Glenn McCord wrote:
> I made these really nice looking .png images with shading and drop
> shadows. I'm using them to make a menu for my application.
>
> But when I texture map them with the help of SDL_Image I lose a lot
> of detail. It's quite pixelated and my drop shadows have
> disappeared. The size of the textured objects on screen are fairly
> close to the actual size of the image.
>
> Is this just a limitation or is there a texturing technique that
> I've missed? Nearest filtering and mipmapping give the same results.

Mipmapping could explain the pixelated part, but if you've really
ruled that out, I have no idea... Well, try not building the mipmaps
at all, just in case! Unless you're actually using mipmapping, the
original texture should be all you need.

Are you sure the drop shadows and stuff are actually in the .png? Some
applications have somewhat strange default settings when exporting to
foreign file formats, so perhaps you're losing some layers and/or the
alpha channel in the export process. I also have a faint memory of
some version of GIMP I used screwing up when exporting multilayered
images, so I had to manually merge down to a single layer first.

What's the OpenGL blend function you're using for rendering?

.-------  http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples  -------.
|        http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine       |
|       http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine          |
|     http://eel.olofson.net - Real time scripting         |