[SDL] Is there a list of new API implementations about the 1.3 version?

Miguel Pragier miguelpragier at yahoo.com.br
Sat Sep 23 21:50:59 PDT 2006

I made these really nice looking .png images with shading and drop
shadows. I'm using them to make a menu for my application.

But when I texture map them with the help of SDL_Image I lose a lot of
detail. It's quite pixelated and my drop shadows have disappeared. The
size of the textured objects on screen are fairly close to the actual
size of the image.

Is this just a limitation or is there a texturing technique that I've
missed? Nearest filtering and mipmapping give the same results.

GLuint loadTexture(char *fileName)
{
    GLuint image;
    SDL_Surface *temp;    //Used for getting pixel data for the texture

    //Begin creating the texture
    if( (temp = IMG_Load(fileName)) )
    {

        //check that the image's width is valid then check that the
image's width is a power of 2
        if(temp->w < 1)
            return 1;
        else if( !((temp->w & (temp->w-1))==0) )
        {
            return 1;
        }

        //Create the texture
        glGenTextures(1, &image);

        //Load the texture
        glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, image);

        //Use mipmaps
        glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
        glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,
GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR);
        gluBuild2DMipmaps(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_RGBA, temp->w, temp->h,
GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, temp->pixels);

    }
    else
        return 1;

    //free the temp surface if it was used
    if(temp)
        SDL_FreeSurface(temp);

    return image;
}

This is all very superficial but it doesn't hurt to have an app that
looks pretty.

Cheers,

Glenn