[SDL] hi and a question

Engin Çalar engincalar at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 13:44:12 PDT 2006

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 13:03:13 +0200, Christian Walther <cwalther at gmx.ch>
wrote:
> - Do you think such a feature would be useful to have in SDL 1.3?

Yes!  Definitely.  Essential, even.

> - Does it work for you? I'm particularly interested in keyboards other
> than the standard 104/105-key ISO/ANSI Mac and PC keyboards I have here.

Linux (64-bit gentoo), X.org 7.0, norwegian keyboard w/some extra multi-
media and web buttons:  Seems to work fine!  It even picked up the correct
names of the extra keys.

The only "problem" I had was that it printed the names of the keys in
utf-8, while the term i ran it was in iso mode, but that's not really
your fault =).  Having the names in utf-8 makes sense.

Oh, and the caps lock and num lock keys only registered when enabling, not
disabling, but scroll lock worked like a regular key.  I know SDL always
worked like this, but while we're on the subject of keys anyway ..  First,
why doesn't scroll lock work like the other lock keys (no light, even) ?
And second, it'd be very nice if these lock keys could (perhaps optionally)
be treated like regular keys.  We've got the modifier information handy
anyway, so there's no reason for them not to, is there ?

> - What do you think about the naming of functions, constants and
> everything? The names I picked are pretty arbitrary and I'm open to
> suggestions for better names.

If 1.3 will replace the current key functions with these, there's no need
for the P, but otherwise I think the names you picked are fine.

- Gerry