[SDL] SDL 1.3 and rendering API state management

Antonio SJ Musumeci asm3072 at njit.edu
Sun Sep 3 06:57:53 PDT 2006

I'm in favor of 1. I asked about this a while back. I see no good reason
to require the SDL drivers to be compile time elements only. The
flexibility is in the core for the most part already... just make it
public. SDL already provides runtime linking wrappers. If the interfaces
for all major components are made public... driver development would be
easier too. Let the drivers/renderers add to some database that they
exist and capabilities so users can easily query for the information. I
know we argued about a query system before... but I think in the
least... everything which is easily known at compile time (platform,any
base drivers) and at runtime (arch,SIMD,supported audio/image formats).
So if SDL_Image doesn't support format X... I can create my own X plugin
and provide it with my app without needing to provide all of SDL_Image.
  Then you can keep core SDL as just a flexible plugin interface for
video/audio/input/etc.