[SDL] [patch] OS X carbon SDL_WINDOWID support

earl earl at stanfordalumni.org
Fri Sep 22 18:05:28 PDT 2006

On Sunday 03 September 2006 11:30, Torsten Giebl wrote:
> Hello !
>

> > I realized there is another problem as well: Just like glSDL, SDL
1.3
> > (at least the OpenGL renderer) relies on some parts of the API
state
> > to remain unchanged between calls. This means an application or
add-on
> > library cannot safely change anything, nor can it rely on the
state to be
> > unaffected by SDL rendering calls.
>

> Is it not possible in OpenGL to save these states,
> then modify them, do all the blittings, restore them ?

Yeah, but it's not something you want to do for every rendered
primitive...

Indeed, the application can explicitly say "now I'm going to use
Advanced2D for a while", and then "now I'm going to make some SDL
rendering calls" - but this is error prone and results in strange and
hard to find bugs if/when mistakes are made. Even harder to get right
if you're using for example a rendering lib and a GUI toolkit lib
together, rather than making the rendering calls directly.

With some kind of mutual notification interface, this could be done
automatically by SDL and/or the add-on lib - that is, actual work is
done only when switching between SDL rendering and add-on library
calls. (Of course, that makes it a bad idea to mix wildly - but
that's not really what I'm trying to support. I'm just trying to
minimize the risk of SDL 1.3/2.0 add-on libs mysteriously breaking
when used together.)

.-------  http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples  -------.
|        http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine       |
|       http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine          |