[SDL] SDL 1.3 audio update...

Peter Mulholland darkmatter at freeuk.com
Fri Sep 1 07:33:54 PDT 2006

Hello Patrice,

> How about support for hardware mixers inside SDL (i.e. the hardware
> support more than 1 single mono, stereo or 5.1 channel) ? There are some
> targets where it could be done, and it would avoid SDL_mixer from doing
> this work in software.

I don't think this is worth adding. If you look at most games using 2D
audio, they are using software mixing anyway.. either their own routines
(like the Quake games), or via libraries such as FMOD, BASS etc.

The only time hardware mixing seems to be used now is when 3D audio is
used, and this is pretty much catered for by OpenAL.

What IS worth adding, IMHO, is a free rate mixer, where each channels
frequency is freely controllable (like in a MOD player's mixer). This
would allow some simple things such as doppler to be done.

It's also handy when odd samples are used. I did the port of Earth
2140 to Linux and Windows (from DOS) a few years ago, and this used
16KHz mono samples. It was a bit of a pain to get SDL_mixer to use
them, in the end I had to write my own resampler to convert them to
22KHz.

--
Best regards,
 Peter                            mailto:darkmatter at freeuk.com