[SDL] Feature Query System (Was: Some multithreaded improvement to the event queue...)

Brian Raiter breadbox at muppetlabs.com
Fri Sep 30 14:38:24 PDT 2005

> Funny thing is that SDL_WM_ToggleFullScreen is the prime example
> used to justify the need of a query system in SDL. The thing is, it
> is documented that it only works on one kind of system, so a simple
> #ifdef (or the equivalent) is all that your code needs to determine
> if you have the feature or not.

Yes, but surely you'd agree that that's not a good, portable
solution. SDL_WM_ToggleFullScreen may become usable on other platforms
in the future (and/or it might conceivably become unavailabile on
later versions of the current platform). It would definitely be better
if you could test for the feature directly, rather than hardcode an
assumption that it exists on one platform.

SDL already uses this idea with the SDL_MUSTLOCK() macro. Having
a similar feature for features like full-screen toggling would be a
good thing, I think.

I would also love it if SDL could provide information on audio latency
issues, although I assume that acquiring such information just isn't
easily available. But if it were, surely we can agree that making such
information available to the programmer would only improve
portability.