[SDL] Feature Query System (Was: Some multithreaded improvement to the event queue...)

Bob Pendleton bob at pendleton.com
Fri Sep 30 12:42:41 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 19:15 +0200, Gerry JJ wrote:
> I agree that things should be left simple, but I can think of
> a few cases other than fullscreen toggling where a query system
> could be useful:
>
> * OpenGL context loss on SDL_SetVideoMode
>
> Reloading all textures every time the window is resized, for
> example, is something that should be avoided if possible ..
> A function that returns true if the context was lost on the
> last SetVideoMode could be nice.

Ok, this one makes some sense. Although, AFAIK, there is only one OS
that does this. It would be nice to query for that bug.

> * Available video driver ("quality" ?)
>
> If the only available video driver is aalib (or caca, etc), I
> might want to show a specialized curses-based UI in stead of
> having SDL convert images to ultra-low-quality ascii.

I don't believe this is a serious problem. If it is, then it can be
solved by the existing query functions in SDL.

> * Latency
>
> If audio latency is large, I might want to delay video a couple
> of frames to get better synchronization with video.

Are you talking about video latency or audio latency? Audio latency can
be controlled by choosing small buffers. Video latency is nearly
unpredictable, so you pretty much have to adjust your video output to
match the audio stream.

Thank you for pointing out another area where a query may be of use.

		Bob Pendleton

> - Gerry

+ email: Bob at Pendleton.com             +
+ web: www.GameProgrammer.com          +
+ www.Wise2Food.com                    +
+ nutrient info on 7,000+ common foods +