[SDL] Feature Query System (Was: Some multithreaded improvement to the event queue...)

Gerry JJ trick at icculus.org
Fri Sep 30 10:15:35 PDT 2005

I agree that things should be left simple, but I can think of
a few cases other than fullscreen toggling where a query system
could be useful:

* OpenGL context loss on SDL_SetVideoMode

Reloading all textures every time the window is resized, for
example, is something that should be avoided if possible ..
A function that returns true if the context was lost on the
last SetVideoMode could be nice.

* Available video driver ("quality" ?)

If the only available video driver is aalib (or caca, etc), I
might want to show a specialized curses-based UI in stead of
having SDL convert images to ultra-low-quality ascii.

* Latency

If audio latency is large, I might want to delay video a couple
of frames to get better synchronization with video.

- Gerry