[SDL] Sound and Music

Elden Armbrust earmbrust at xero-soft.com
Tue Sep 27 21:40:54 PDT 2005

I've heard similar things from other people.  Just recently I wrote a
c++ class which abstracts much of openal and adds streaming from ogg
vorbis files, urls (ogg), and icecast streams.  While FMOD may claim to
be the fastest audio API (which I've yet to see any real data to back
up), the implementation I've built is nearly as stable, more compatible
across Windows/Linux (from my and others experiences) and didn't cost a
penny to implement.  I don't plan on adding mp3 support to the library
for a few reasons: 1) mp3 licensing is expensive 2) mp3s have a stigma
associated with them now as being the pirates chosen audio format 3)
most listener tests confirm ogg as having better audio clarity at higher
bitrates and better compression at lower bitrates (this isn't MY
opinion, but that by many people including the hydrogenaudio guys)  I
have been communicating with the icecast guys to make sure the class is
fully compatible with icecast.  I've noticed no speed differences
between OpenAL (using my library) and FMOD EX. (Not that is noticable
without extensive testing with specialized equipment)
I plan on adding speex and FLAC support as well (without using a library
such as fishsound).  Where am I going with this?  Why pay for Fmod (5000
copies of a game or application is exceeded QUITE easily, especially
when you distribute via the internet.) when there are viable
alternatives which have actually proven themselves in commercial
games/applications?  Like Ryan, I'm not trying to start a debate.  I
just want to point out that the majority of the benefits that you pay
for in FMOD are available in OpenAL.