[SDL] Feature Query System (Was: Some multithreaded improvement to the event queue...)

Elden Armbrust earmbrust at xero-soft.com
Tue Sep 27 21:14:59 PDT 2005

I don't think Ryan's intentions were to upset you, or anyone else, over
this matter.  The beauty of OSS is that you can change, enhance, or just
generally recreate any piece of the package/library and offer it back to
the main development branch in the form of a patch.  I know not everyone
has the time to give back every little thing they think up, but we have
to remember that the core SDL developers aren't really any different
than us.  There are two options that I can see to your problem:
1) Create a configuration file and let the user set up the display
options in the program or via an external program.  This requires a fair
amount of coding, but nothing so grave as to cause anyone grey hairs.
2) Modify the main SDL library to be able to query for the specifics of
switching between windowed or fullscreen.  This requires knowledge of
the codebase, submitting it to CVS, and awaiting for it to be verified
as usable on more than just one platform.

Personally, I use the first method (as do most commercial games) and
feel it works quite well for what I need it to do.  Not only are your
users able to have some more control over the display, but you have the
ability to reuse the code for selecting the modes in other
applications.  I did see a project a little while back titled
SDL_config, and it may well serve your purpose without requiring
modifications to the core library, though I haven't looked into it very
much.

I think the most important thing to remember is that we're all working
toward the same goal: making a piece of software more usable, be it a
game, library, or something completely different.

-Elden