[SDL] x86 asm blitters, win32/MSVC?

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Tue Sep 27 03:43:34 PDT 2005

> So after some research I've found out in the
> documentation for the upcoming VS 2005 that
> they still support inline assembly.

On x86, yes. On Win64 (either amd64 or Itanium) there is NO inline
assembly support in the compiler, and you have to use MASM or some
equivalent if you must have it (or compiler intrinsics, which are a
better proposition, if you ask me).

I don't have a document, but you can download the Platform SDK for free
from Microsoft and try it yourself with 32 and 64-bit targets. This is a
compiler issue; I imagine if you could target gcc at Win64 (as you can
64-bit Linux), you can use inline assembly. Just avoid the floating
point registers.  :)

Inline assembly is not part of any C or C++ standard.

--ryan.