[SDL] Any news about...?

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Tue Sep 27 02:33:54 PDT 2005

> I've recently submitted patches to 1.3 to extend pbuffer support to
> floating point colors, because currently the OpenGL color buffer float
> extensions can only be done on a pbuffer.  I wonder what happened to it.  :)

I have your patch still.

> A possible alternative would be just to redesign the SDL pbuffer API so
> that it's out of the way of glSDL.  I don't yet understand why it would
> be in glSDL's way, though.  :)  Does glSDL uses its own pbuffers to
> handle SDL surfaces?

glSDL doesn't need pbuffers, Sam was saying he wants to make a decision
about yanking the RenderTarget APIs before doing anything else.
Currently, SDL 1.3's RenderTargets abstract the platform-specifics of
pbuffers the same way SDL 1.2 abstracts general OpenGL context creation
in SDL_SetVideoMode()...but framebuffer_object sucks about a million
times less than pbuffers and doesn't require any platform-specific code,
and would make SDL RenderTargets obsolete before they were even released.

--ryan.