[SDL] libtool question

Johannes Schmidt sdl at myrealbox.com
Mon Sep 26 02:08:33 PDT 2005

On Monday 26 September 2005 02:47, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
[...]
> SDL.so consists of many smaller libs, these are first build one
> by one and then linked together. These (partial) libs are not
> installed, just SDL.so (AFAIK).
>
> When they get linked together to libSDL, they're in "uninstalled"
> state (created by --link, but not yet installed with --install),
> so I assumed "uninstalled" libs imported by other libs are linked
> statically. Now I've got some packages (ie. glib or gtk), where
> this is obviously *NOT* the case: several libs are linked together,
> but these are installed too, so we can link dynamically.
>
> BTW: this is not just waste of space, but also can lead to problems
> with duplicate symbols and global variables.
>
> So I have to find out, how libtool decides whether it links one
> lib against another statically vs. dynamically.

Libtool does not decide it at all.
These temporary libs are marked as noinst libraries in their corresponding
automake makefiles (Makefile.am) and as "libadd" in the top-level makefile.

It may work if you replace the "noinst_LTLIBRARIES" with "lib_LTLIBRARIES" and
remove them from libSDL_la_LIBADD.

> > ./libtool --help --mode=link
> >
> > may give a hint
>
> not really. the offical documentation also doesn't say anything
> about this.

The man pages as well as "./libtool --help" state that.

> > (or look directly at the source).
>
> if this is a joke, it's not really funny ...

Sorry, but it shouldn't be a joke.
Almost everything I know about libtool is from the sources.

Regards,
Johannes

< http://libufo.sourceforge.net > The OpenGL GUI Toolkit