[SDL] Feature Query System (Was: Some multithreaded improvement to the event queue...)

Steven Johnson SDL at sakuraindustries.com
Tue Sep 20 14:00:46 PDT 2005

Antonio SJ Musumeci wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand. Writing software is all about control.
> Unless the hardware itself has no way of being polled or a query
> system faked... one can always dig deeper through the abstractions to
> gain the information they seek... or replace those abstractions with
> something that would give them the desired info.

This sounds like a conflict between embedded development mind sets and
PC development mind sets.

I think the problem is that with a library like SDL, a certain measure
of control (in the nature of what you discuss) is lost.  This is because
it is an abstraction library, which hides the details of the underlying
mechanisms.  By using the library you are "giving up control" to the
library.  If you want to have "total control" you need to do things
directly (ie, with the hardware, or with target specific libraries), and
not worry about a library that attempts to have your code write once,
compile everywhere,  Where each and every target will have different
control issues, that the library has been designed to hide.

This problem sounds more like a conflict of philosophy.  I can see
nothing wrong with a "try and see" approach.  This is ultimately what
you do when you probe hardware anyway.  The difference here is that the
activating of the code, and the probing of its functionality/existence,
is combined into a single operation.

My 2c.
Steven