[SDL] GNU GCC 3.4.x problem with inline assembly on SDL

Alex Volkov avcp-sdlmail at usa.net
Tue Sep 20 03:31:34 PDT 2005

Roberto Prieto wrote:
> when you said that ebx is stored on edi... do you mean that
> automatically the compiler does this copy(ebx->edi)?

No, I meant the particular piece of code in SDL_cpuinfo.c that executes the
CPUID instruction -- manually written code. The compiler will only
save/restore the registers that get clobbered and that *need* saving.

> I have done testing and when I modified edi.. the routine fails

You should specify all the registers that you use in the input, output and
clobber lists at the end of your asm block to make sure gcc has all that
info.

Alex.