[SDL] Feature Query System (Was: Some multithreaded improvement to the event queue...)

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Mon Sep 19 09:23:12 PDT 2005

* Olof Bjarnason <olof.bjarnason at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
> Maybe you are right, maybe is should be a third-party library. It
> could be built up around hash-table "system configuration database"
> with a main "detection routine" run at an appropriate time, for
> example by the install wizard or by the game's "hardware detection"
> menu command:

I personally would prefer this way, not just because I like to
keep things small. Please do not extend the interface of libSDL,
if not absolutely necessary. (If 2.0 someday will come, I would
be really happy, if libSDL would be splitted off into a couple
of smaller libs, probably on the borders of the currently build
time switchable features)

Probably several specific query function like already mentioned
ListModes() could reply additional flags, ie. whether some video
mode is native vs emulated, etc, or we could add some kind of costs
for several modes, so the application can use them for their decision.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481