[SDL] Graphics/Audio Driver selection at runtime

Steven Johnson SDL at sakuraindustries.com
Fri Sep 16 04:13:22 PDT 2005

Olivier Delannoy wrote:

> You can parse options before initializing SDL and fixes the
> environment vars using SDL_putenv in your program just before calling
> SDL_InitSubSystem. This function is available for this usage.

I appreciate I can do this, it was my first thought.  It just seems a
little bit Kludgey to me, that is all.  It also still doesnt allow my
application to probe the available drivers, so the end user knows what
the currently available selections are.  So the thought was, if i add
any routines to probe, why not add a "not so kuldgy" way of selecting
those drivers,  rather than force environment variables.

Is there any real problem with the suggestion?  I wouldnt break any API
compatibility with anything suggested.

Also, I would really need to know which version I should develop against
1.2.9 or CVS, and what is the protocol for submitting patches?

Thanks,
Steven