[SDL] Feature Query System (Was: Some multithreaded improvement to the event queue...)

Antonio SJ Musumeci asm3072 at njit.edu
Thu Sep 15 13:50:06 PDT 2005

How does offering a robust query system make it not Simple? And how does
requesting several extensions make it less portable? It's no different
than requiring other external libraries. I'd imagine it would make apps
more portable... since the programmer can accommodate accordingly to
what is available. (for compile time and run time) I would rather have
an app be able to notify me that it's unable to run or run as well
because SDL doesnt support something then run at the lowest common
denominator without warning. As I said... the OpenGL community has been
doing this for years and I dont see anyone having problems with it. I
dont think giving the developer more information is ever a bad thing.
This I think also has reverence with the conversation on sdl-config and
cross-platform building. If sdl-config was an app wrapping up much of
the queriable things which this imaginary SDL query system provides...
it would be more useful and available on systems without unix style shells.