[SDL] Re: Some multithreaded improvement to the event queue...

Antonio SJ Musumeci asm3072 at njit.edu
Thu Sep 15 09:05:34 PDT 2005

While I agree that compatibility is important... it shouldnt keep from
improving the library as a whole. My biggest problem with SDL is it's
general lack of a feature query system. It would seem to me the most
compatible and maintainable way of dealing with many platforms would be
like OpenGL does. Certain features are globally available... but
everything else needs to be checked at runtime. I find it safer and
easier to work with. If SDL supports not including certain subsystems...
why must we wait till link time to find that out? Have dummy functions
and a way to see if it exists. Why must things like video and audio
drivers not be settable but by environmental variables? Why cant we find
out what are available? If the Windows blitter doesnt use assembly
optimized code... or support hardware surfaces... I'd like to know this
at runtime. Or clock resolution. Anything not consistent platform to
platform. It seems many of the questions this mailing list gets could be
answered if there was was a feature querying system. Maybe not the why
feature X isnt supported but at least the fact that it isnt is not
hidden. I really hope that when and if SDL2 happens... we can include
such a system.