[SDL] Re: Some multithreaded improvement to the event queue...

Bob Pendleton bob at pendleton.com
Thu Sep 15 07:31:30 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 23:54 +0100, Brian Barrett wrote:

>         "If you had read any of the stuff I pointed you at you would
>         know that I
>         already made all those points 3 years ago. In a discussion
>         with Sam less
>         than 6 months ago he was still uneasy about putting this into
>         SDL."
>
> maybe i might be sounding a little democratic here, i apologise for
> that, but can't the users (SDL Developers ) have some kind of vote or
> something as to whether it is or isn't a Bug or whether it should be
> included.
>
> not taking away from Sam Lantiniga and the library...

Here I have to go along with Sam 100%. Software development is not a
democratic process. There have to be people who are concerned about the
overall architecture and design of the library. Those people, Sam, and
the other long time developers, know why things are done the way they
are and they know what has to be done to maintain compatibility. They
have the big view. Even I, with my huge ego and vast knowledge :-) have
to admit that I do not know the complete story and must accept the
decisions of those who do.

OTOH, if a lot of people jump in and say they want the feature, then it
will get more weight than if it is just you and I. The fact is that very
few people seem to need it, and those that do need seem to be happy to
use my library. But, if it breaks SDL on a widely used platform, there
is good reason not to add it in.

I am hoping we can get this into SDL 2.0 even if we can't get it into a
current version of SDL.

I hope you understand that I have no authority one way or the other over
SDL.

		Bob Pendleton

+ email: Bob at Pendleton.com             +
+ web: www.GameProgrammer.com          +
+ www.Wise2Food.com                    +
+ nutrient info on 7,000+ common foods +