[SDL] x86 asm blitters, win32/MSVC?

Alex Volkov avcp-sdlmail at usa.net
Wed Sep 14 13:11:07 PDT 2005

Paulo Pinto wrote:
> So after some research I've found out in the documentation for the
> upcoming VS 2005 that they still support inline assembly.
>
> So can you please point us to some official M$ document where they
> say that the feature will no longer be supported?

He probably meant the 64-bit Itanium compiler, which does not support inline
asm. However, MS clearly states that "Compiler intrinsics are provided for
almost every machine instruction" (see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/productinfo/faq/) which is even better in
many cases, as the compiler can optimize the register usage for you and
avoid stalls.

I have already ported most of the x86 asm Alpha blitters from SDL_blit_A.c
to MSVC MMX intrinsics (not inline asm), so if anyone is interested, please
let me know and I'll send a patch (if anyone cares).

Alex.