[SDL] SDL Without X Windows System

Simon Roby simon.roby at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 15:22:05 PDT 2005

On 9/13/05, Stephane Marchesin <stephane.marchesin at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Patrice Mandin wrote:
> > You can have OpenGL support without X (at least under Linux):
> >
> > - either use OSMesa which is software rendering only. It could be easy
> > to add this to the framebuffer SDL driver. Mesa has support for svgalib,
> > but I don't know how it could integrate the svgalib SDL driver. We could
> > add osmesa support for all targets as a default OpenGL driver.
> >
> > - or add directfbgl support to the directfb SDL driver (this is a glx
> > emulation layer), there is hardware accelerated drivers for just a few
> > video cards:
> > http://www.directfb.org/index.php?path=Development%2FProjects%2FDirectFBGL
> >

> There's a third solution :
>
> - implement OpenGL in the fbcon backend, using Mesa's miniglx (OpenGL
> over the framebuffer). This is limited to DRI-supported video cards but
> works fine and is hardware-accelerated. Actually, I had some code to do
> that somewhere and it even worked somehow, but I can't seem to find it
> any more :(

Cool. Nice to see I was wrong when I said that (hardware accelerated)
OpenGL under Linux is limited to X11.

I really doubt any of those solutions work on nVidia hardware though.
Which is what most people playing games under Linux have.

And X11 isn't THAT bad anyway. Creating a window from the lowest-level
API is basically just as complicated under Windows. But with GUI
toolkits and SDL, who needs to do that anyway?

- SR