[SDL] WinCE timers, continued

Tyler Montbriand tsm at accesscomm.ca
Fri Sep 30 01:24:50 PDT 2005

Stephane Marchesin wrote:
> > I am wondering if there is a particular (and obvious?) reason why x86
> > asm blitters are not included/built by the MSVC project file. I
> > realize the gcc inline asm code cannot be built by MSVC, but what
> > about the Hermes nasm code? I've built SDL w/ Hermes successfully with
> > MSVC -- no problems.
>
> So you say. Nasm/win32 has been causing us more than its share of
> issues. When I finally find the time, my plan is to rewrite the
> nasm blitters for gas.

Could you elaborate on nasm/win32 problems please? Or at least point me in
the direction of some articles perhaps? I am really curious, as I've been
using win32 nasm for years.

> Next versions of visual C will _not_ support inline asm. So an
> external assembler like nasm is the only choice for assembly
> with visual C.
> I think the solution is to build SDL with gcc (mingw or cygwin) to benefit
> from the mmx code, even if only for the releases.

The problem with using cygwin builds, is that the dll linkage .lib's it
creates cannot be used with VC6 (most likely not v5 either, not sure about
v7+). Perhaps the makefile just needs an option somewhere, I am not sure.
The SDL.dll, however, can be used without problems.

In any case, the blitters could also be done using MSVC MMX/SSE intrinsics.
Do you know if the next versions of VC will support those or if there are
any other serious counterindications to doing so? Worst case, the blitters
could also be done in MASM, if necessary.

Alex.