[SDL] Dev C++ Linking Issues

Tim Swast purplemonkeyking at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 19:03:03 PDT 2005

Alex Volkov wrote:
> Hello, all.
> I am wondering if there is a particular (and obvious?) reason why x86 asm
> blitters are not included/built by the MSVC project file. I realize the gcc
> inline asm code cannot be built by MSVC, but what about the Hermes nasm
> code? I've built SDL w/ Hermes successfully with MSVC -- no problems.

So you say. Nasm/win32 has been causing us more than its share of
issues. When I finally find the time, my plan is to rewrite the nasm
blitters for gas.

> The
> project would not even have to be completely dependent upon nasm (though
> getting win32 nasm is trivial) -- I've added a "Release ASMBLIT" build
> configuration, for example. Would a patch for the VC project file be desired
> and accepted?

Next versions of visual C will _not_ support inline asm. So an external
assembler like nasm is the only choice for assembly with visual C.

> Also, seeing how the official win32 SDL builds are made with MSVC, I think
> we could also really benefit from the MSVC versions of MMX blitters in
> SDL_blit_A.c. Would such patch be accepted?

I think the solution is to build SDL with gcc (mingw or cygwin) to
benefit from the mmx code, even if only for the releases.

Stephane