[SDL] Problems with latest WinCE CVS

Tyler Montbriand tsm at accesscomm.ca
Thu Sep 29 12:39:49 PDT 2005

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Ricardo Cruz wrote:

>  In my opinion, instead of converting TTF fonts to bitmaps in run-time
>  you should do so before to avoid extra dependecy, make the engine
>  simpler and use of less cpu and memory.  Making a program to convert
>  TTF to a bitmap is very simple, as well as making it accept arguments
>  and add graphical effects.
>
> Cheers,
> Ricardo

Perhaps its my laptop hardware (PII, 300mhz no hardware accel support),
but I've found that blitting bitmap fonts for each frame still gives me
a noticeable slowdown.

I ended up storing a copy of the text in memory, and blit to the the
main display only when that part of the screen needs to be redrawn.
Much more friendly for the CPU at the cost of a little memory.

YMMV,
Jesse

--
   Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
                                               - Vernon Schryver