[SDL] Serious problems with SDL_net and OS X

Christopher Corkum hacker at nbnet.nb.ca
Wed Sep 28 11:46:25 PDT 2005

> Well, assuming the two faster machines are limiting the frame rate to
> the 60 Hz refresh rate (retrace sync), there must be something very
> wrong with the setup or something on the Duron.

It's strange, but it was tested on two similar machines - both with
duron 800 - both 3-4 fps.

> Are you sure the driver actually provided hardware acceleration for
> the pixel format you were using? Did other OpenGL software run with
> decent frame rates on that system? Maybe your code relied on some
> feature that wasn't supported by the Riva 2 card... Some odd blending
> mode, texture filtering or something that that chip cannot
> accelerate?

It is possible. I will check it and try other settings...

> Either way, with a design like that (prerendered glyphs), SDL_TTF
> should be out of the loop (literally!) once you've rendered your
> fonts. So, if it's still slow, it should have nothing to do with TTF
> rendering, unless you put some code in the wrong place...

Hmm... I just call the opengl lists (my code is similar to code I found
on NeHe).

Well, probably it is about texture filtering. AFAIR I used linear filtering.

Regards