[SDL] SDL Without X Windows System

Patrice Mandin mandin.patrice at wanadoo.fr
Mon Sep 12 01:58:53 PDT 2005

Le Tue, 6 Sep 2005 15:56:13 -0500
Felix Haquejiel <haquejiel at gmail.com> a écrit:

> I've just been getting into Linux programming (in general) and SDL. I
> really, really like SDL, but I'm not especially fond of the X Windows
> System. Is there any way to use SDL without it? To get the OpenGL
> rendering  contexts, the input, the audio, etc, or is everything that
> SDL uses based  heavily around X? It's not that I mind the very small
> overhead X can  provide, it's more that I just really don't like the
> way it deals with  things.

You can have OpenGL support without X (at least under Linux):

- either use OSMesa which is software rendering only. It could be easy
to add this to the framebuffer SDL driver. Mesa has support for svgalib,
but I don't know how it could integrate the svgalib SDL driver. We could
add osmesa support for all targets as a default OpenGL driver.

- or add directfbgl support to the directfb SDL driver (this is a glx
emulation layer), there is hardware accelerated drivers for just a few
video cards:
http://www.directfb.org/index.php?path=Development%2FProjects%2FDirectFBGL

--
Patrice Mandin