[SDL] SDL Without X Windows System

Simon Roby simon.roby at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 13:40:47 PDT 2005

On 9/6/05, Felix Haquejiel <haquejiel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
>  I've just been getting into Linux programming (in general) and SDL. I
> really, really like SDL, but I'm not especially fond of the X Windows
> System. Is there any way to use SDL without it? To get the OpenGL rendering
> contexts, the input, the audio, etc, or is everything that SDL uses based
> heavily around X? It's not that I mind the very small overhead X can
> provide, it's more that I just really don't like the way it deals with
> things.
>
>  Anyway, that's all I'm wondering. Thankee for your time. :)

Using OpenGL under pretty much any Unix system (except OS X) implies
using GLX contexts under the X windowing system, so you have no choice
here.

But OpenGL aside, yes, SDL has many other 2D display targets available
under Linux, including framebuffer console, and some more old and/or
arcane methods, like svgalib. SDL is designed to automatically select
an appropriate 2D display backend depending on what it can find, so as
long as it's compiled in, SDL can use it.

(I've once run UT2004 in software rendering mode right on my
framebuffer console, without X running. It didn't run very well, but
was pretty cool to see it working.)

- SR