[SDL] Good sprite engines based on sdl?

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Sat Sep 10 15:10:39 PDT 2005

On Saturday 10 September 2005 22.32, twoeyedhuman wrote:
> I have been trying to make a sprite engine that uses trees for about
> 3 weeks now, and after all this stuff which I don't even want to
> mention, I am kind of annoyed at making my own engine.  (And yes, I
> did look up on google for everything I possibly could on engines)

Trees...?

Unless you're going to deal with very large maps with live objects all
over the place at all times, and/or heavy physics, AI and stuff, you
can probably get away with just keeping all objects in a single list
or table of some sort.

Optimizing is something you do after actually running into a
performance issue - or just because you enjoy doing it. :-)

> So is there any good open-source sprite engines available?
> Preferably based on sdl?

There are a few sprite libs and engines for SDL, but I don't have much
experience with any of these. (So far, I've been doing everything
directly over the SDL API, mostly because I like messing with low
level stuff.)

If you want to do it the hard way, you can try to find what you need
in Kobo Deluxe. ;-)
	http://www.olofson.net/kobodl/

Fixed Rate Pig is probably nicer, as it was written from scratch with
the intention of becoming an SDL programming example, maybe aspiring
to become an engine eventually. It's a playable game, so it covers
the basics in the control, timing and rendering departments.
	http://olofson.net/examples.html

If you want something that's mature and ready to just plug in, which
will do pretty much "everything" for you, you'll have to look
elsewhere. I think you'll find most of the SDL related solutions of
interest here:
	http://www.libsdl.org/libraries.php