[SDL] SDL_gfx.dll

David Olsen jolynsbass at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 3 19:56:51 PDT 2005

Speaking of SDL_gfx and in particular, the rotozoom functions....
I was playing with zooming(actually, de-zooming, scaling down) a picture(a
circular button), with the smoothing effect on,and it looked a lot worse
than I expected when it was reduced from about 200x200 pixels to about
20x20pixels. (I reduced the same image file to those proportions in a
seperate grahpics editing program using anti-aliasing, and the results were
much better) When scaling images up, the SMOOTHING_ON effect was good. But
it seemed to make no difference when scaling down, as though the zoom
function only actually used it if scaling a surface into a larger one...
When I resized it in my graphics program(this time turning anti-aliasing
off, to stretch/truncate method) , sure enough, it looked just the same as
the image scaled down by rotozoom. What can I do to implement the
anti-aliasing in rotozoom when I want an image scaled down? Anyone?

Or alternatively, can someone point me to some good code for doing the same
thing? (I only need scaling, not rotation...) Thanks,
-Dave