[SDL] Re: Suggestions needed on multiwindow implementation for SDL

Koshmaar koshmaar at poczta.onet.pl
Wed Sep 7 09:13:15 PDT 2005

 >I guess a good question is what are people expecting out of a multiple
 >window API?  Are they expecting to just be able to create subwindows
 >which are basically framebuffers which clip out the parent?  Or are >they
 >expecting multiple fullscreen windows?  Or are they expecting simply
 >multiple toplevel windows that they use the native window manager to
 >lower, raise, position, etc?
 >
 >I'll stick my neck out too, and wonder if people are expecting to be >able
 >to mix and match OpenGL windows and 2D windows? :)
 >
 >See ya,
 >	-Sam Lantinga, Software Engineer, Blizzard Entertainment

One more thing about multiple windows: http://oglwfw.sourceforge.net/

Quote:

"The OpenGL Window Framework is just what it says it is, a framework for
creating and controlling windows capible of holding an OpenGL rendering
context in it.

You might be wondering why we need yet another method of setting up an
OpenGL window and I dont blame you, between GLUT, SDL and GLFW you would
think all the bases had been covered however there were numerous
features of those various systems I didnt like, from the invasiveness of
the GLUT framework to the C-style system of SDL and GLFW and the overly
long and complex ways of setting up a context and no support for
multithreading that I could find. So I looked at the problem and decided
it was time for a C++ system to be born to take care of those gaps. "

Maybe people responsible for implementing multiple windows in SDL will
find sth useful in this lib.

Koshmaar