[SDL] Re: New driver for OpenBSD/wscons

Staffan Ulfberg staffan at ulfberg.se
Tue Nov 22 02:07:45 PST 2005

"Ryan C. Gordon" <icculus at icculus.org> writes:

> You added this in the joystick code:
>
> -#if defined(__FreeBSD__) || defined(__NetBSD__) || defined(__OpenBSD__)
> +#if defined(__FreeBSD__) || defined(__NetBSD__) ||
> (defined(__OpenBSD__) && defined(__i386__))
>
> Is there any reason that piece of code is x86 specific? Does that
> interface only exist as a legacy thing on OpenBSD/x86?

I do not really understand the code, but the following suggests it is
i386 specific:
- The code does not compile on my arm system without the patch.
- The OpenBSD port of SDL includes this patch.
- The only "joystick.h" file on my system is in
  /usr/sys/arch/i386/include/joystick.h.

Maybe it would have been better to submit two patches, since this is
not strictly part of the wscons driver?  (There are also some patches
in src/audio/openbsd/SDL_openbsdaudio.c, without which the code deos
not compile, so I threw them in with the other stuff, even if the
patches are not strictly part of the wscons driver.)

> Also, the configure.in script added this:
>
> +        AC_MSG_CHECKING(for wscons support)
> +        video_wscons=no
> +        AC_LANG_C
> +        AC_TRY_COMPILE([
> +       #include <sys/time.h>
> +       #include <dev/wscons/wsconsio.h>
> +        video_wscons=yes
> +
>
> ...it looks like you are only concerned with the existence of
> wsconsio.h...can we just use AC_CHECK_HEADER instead?

Sure!  This is the first time I've ever written something for
autoconf, so I didn't realize the simpler alternative! :)

Staffan