[SDL] Re: SDL_mixer plays bad quality, linux play is good quality.

Laeeq Khan Laeeq_M_Khan at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 14 13:02:20 PST 2005

> What's your audio hardware and what SDL version are you using ? If
> that's some AC97 card and your version of SDL is 1.2.7 or older, you
> might want to set the SDL_DSP_NOSELECT environment variable. However, it
> has been removed in later SDL versions so there is no solution if you
> run 1.2.8 or higher (short of patching SDL of course).
>
> Stephane

That's right, my SDL version is 1.2.5-4, and according to Linux hardware
browser, my sound Device is "82801DB (ICH4) AC'97 Audio controller. And driver
is snd-intel8x0.

I set the variable you mentioned by

export SDL_DSP_NOSELECT=1
When I played the program again, I still have bad quality sound with SDL.

The same program works without problem on a faster processor, with same sound
card & driver. My setup where I am having problem has 2.8 GHz Intel processor
with 400MHz front side bus.

I am surprised that Linux "play" command plays the sound flawlessly, it is
only SDL_mixer which is problematic.

=Laeeq