[SDL] TTF_RenderText functions increasing memory usage

Nick Stovall nsto135 at aol.com
Fri Nov 4 20:31:54 PST 2005

Hi. I'm writing a base engine class in SDL, using the TTF and mixer libraries.
I'm just about done - there are a few bugs but overall it's ready to be used.

One of the bugs deals with the TTF_RenderText functions - whenever they're run,
they increase the amount of RAM that my program is using. This is a problem, as
I've sat there and watched my program go from about 8.5 megs of RAM to 50MB in
about 2 minutes. I KNOW it's these functions because if I comment them out and
run the program, the RAM usage stays at a steady 8.5MB

My questions are:

1) Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you fix it?
3) Do you have any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

thanks.