[SDL] Bad OpenGL performance with Linux and NVidia GF 6600

Gerry JJ trick at icculus.org
Tue Nov 1 08:32:35 PST 2005

På Tue, 01 Nov 2005 04:47:50 +0100, skrev Richard "The PC Doc" Hancock
<thepcdoc at rjhcomputers.com>:

> A little low? The human eye can see 27 FPS, the average human can tell
> the difference between 30 and 60, the average gamer/programmer can tell
> the diff between 60 and 75. Almost 600 FPS at full screen means you have
> plenty of room to spare (granted it is glxgears).

No, the human eye doesn't see in frames at all.  How many "frames" we see
depends heavily on the context (one white frame in a series of black
requires more fps to disappear than a series of similar images, etc),
and even then the brain can register things that we don't conciously see.
For example, although I probably can't tell the difference between a game
updating at 85 fps and 100 fps, personally I have no problem telling the
difference between my monitor refreshing at 85 hz and 100 hz.  I don't
conciously register much flickering at 85 hz (unlike 75 hz), but 100 hz
feels more stable.

Anyway, I agree that calling a frame rate of 500 fps in a game "a little
low" is silly.  This wasn't a game, though, it was a performance test
(although you really shouldn't use glxgears for that ..).

- Gerry