[SDL] I/O problem (stdio and stderr redirection to txt =?iso-8859-1?q?=09files?=)

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Sun Mar 20 07:11:57 PST 2005

On Sunday 20 March 2005 14.50, Tom Wilson wrote:
[...]
> I for one would stop using SDL if it uncontrollably started popping
> up message boxes.  Or if the size of the library became bloated by
> all manner of cross platform widgetry.

I might be failing to understand what some people are saying, and/or
not expressing myself clearly. Anyway, as I see it, this is the
general idea:

 1. Have SDL do *less* of the kind of stuff you're
    worried about. That is, kill this horrible stdout
    redirection thing on all platforms.

 2. Provide some way for the application to pop up a
    message box, if the application can't make SDL set
    up any kind of display.

 3. Provide some handy, self contained (as in, compiled-
    in font) tools for displaying messages using SDL,
    for situations where applications can't load their
    resources.

1 means *removing* a piece of code that pretty much everyone seems to
find annoying, at best - and that's all that should be done to SDL
itself!

2 should probably be optional and external to SDL. 3 certainly should,
as it's a plain, platform independent layer on top of SDL.

That said, 2 could probably be implemented as a header, and then it
might as well come with SDL. No code compiled if you don't use it,
and no impact on the actual SDL library interface. Still, it would be
there, making it easier for people to give up this habit of assuming
that the average user will see stuff sent to stdout or stderr.