[SDL] SDL_mixer bugs

Greg Lee greg at ling.lll.hawaii.edu
Mon Mar 14 05:28:54 PST 2005

David Ergo wrote:

> Greg Lee wrote:
>
>> It's great news that the 5.1 Windows interface works, now.  Thanks
>> for fixing it.
>>
>> Is that #ifdef in the Windows audio driver, so that it gets the channel
>> order right for all SDL output?  Including midi?
>>
> No the patch is for SDL_mixer, not the Windows audio driver.
> SDL doesn't handle audio channels in a particular way, only SDL_mixer
> does.

No, both SDL and SDL_mixer know about 5.1 and 4.0 sound, and the
Alsa interpretation of 5.1 channel order is built in to SDL as well as
SDL_mixer.

> I never used midi and I even don't know if 5.1 is supported in midi...

It is.  And it is also supported for .ogg, .mp3, .wav, and mod files
(though the
.mp3 and mod support is faked by copying channels).  And all the support
assumes Alsa channel order (except for 6 channel .ogg and .wav files which
are played in 5.1).

Greg