[SDL] Fullscreen refresh on win32

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Sun Mar 6 11:12:37 PST 2005

On Sunday 06 March 2005 17.06, Per Inge Mathisen wrote:
> However, I believe there
> might be a way around that: Check before switching what refresh rate
> the user's desktop runs in, and if our fullscreen dimensions are
> equal or less than those of the desktop, use the higher refresh rate
> of 60 and the desktop rate.

I like that idea. If people run their desktop at 60 Hz (some don't
seem to mind, really!), then there's probably not much point in using
higher refresh rates for games. (Well, there is the latency issue...)

Either way, it seems sensible to assume that the desktop refresh rate
is good enough and still safe.

[...]
> An alternative is to add an SDL_GL_GetAttribute(SDL_GL_REFRESH_RATE)
> option so that programs can bitch at their users at their own
> convenience.

That interface is strictly intended for OpenGL attributes, AFAIK.
Short of a proper API extension in SDL 1.3 or 2.0, I'd rather see
another environment variable - which has the handy side effect of
being usable even with applications that don't explicitly support the
feature.