[SDL] SDL, X.org and multiple mice

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Thu Jun 23 09:17:01 PDT 2005

> You're looking at the wrong part of the X protocol. You need to look at
> the X input extension. It was introduced around 20 years ago (back when
> I had just started porting X servers :-) and it supports a way to probe
> for devices and receive input events from the device. I think it also
> supports a way to change core input devices, but I'm not sure about
> that. It was a looong time ago.

Ah, ok.

This is also how Gimp supports tablets, apparently, although SDL doesn't
appear to use the extension at this point.

However, it doesn't get around the fact that most boxes aren't
configured for multiple mice in the X server itself (the ones that need
a tablet are the exception, and go out of their way to configure it), so
in many ways, XInput wouldn't be reliably for this (although, it would
no doubt be a more reliable method than trying to use /dev/input/event*
on a non-Linux box, or probably even kernel 12.7.15).

Obviously, this continues to be a mess.  :)

--ryan.