[SDL] using a display other than :0

David Sharp whereami at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 01:31:15 PDT 2005

I have been looking at the source of stepmania [1] because i could not
get it to run on a second X server (necessary because of my dual
monitors, which means "fullscreen" is annoyingly centered over the
split, so i usually run a second server configured for a single head).
oddly, i was able to get stepmania to show the loading window on :1
using --display :1 on the command line (standard gtk option), but it
still showed the SDL app on :0. setting/exporting DISPLAY=":1.0" has
no effect.

Looking through the stepmania source, and looking a little at the SDL
api on the website, I could not find any way to request what x11
display SDL should connect to. Is there a way to do this, or is this a
missing feature?

I have SDL 1.2.8, compiled on Gentoo on an Athlon 64 3200+ using
nvidia's binary drivers version 7174
this is how i'm trying to run the program:
$ xinit `which stepmania` --display :1 -- -config xorg-singlemon.conf :1

~David

[1] http://www.stepmania.com