[SDL] alsa and DMA..

Stephane Marchesin stephane.marchesin at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 31 14:56:29 PST 2005

Dave Airlie wrote:

>I see that the ALSA support in SDL doesn't use DMA, but read/write...
>
>I'm wondering has anyone thought about implementing DMA transfers for
>Alsa? or know if it would give much advantage.....

No idea if it would give a real speed advantage (probably not much). But
I do have plans to fix the alsa backend. I run the alsa kernel modules
at home (with oss emulation), and since the oss backend got broken from
the recent modifications (and alsa never quite worked) I'm stuck now.
Actually, I even think the SDL interface could map quite nicely to the
alsa dma stuff.

How old it the alsa dma api ? We have to keep backwards compatibility
with alsa < 1.0 too...

Stephane