[SDL] using multi-texture in SDL

Stephane Marchesin stephane.marchesin at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jan 30 09:25:15 PST 2005

Will Childman wrote:

>I included <glext.h> in my opengl demo but still got this error:
>
>error: `glActiveTextureARB' undeclared (first use this
>   function)
>
>I checked glext.h and found the definition of glActiveTextureARB there!
>
>Somebody mentioned using SDL_GetProcAddress() but I couldn't find anything about
>this function in SDL's API documentation. Can anyone give a hint? Thanks.

There are two ways to use the multitexture extension :

- if you have OpenGL 1.2 or better, it's part of the core OpenGL
functions so you can use glActiveTexture. Trouble is, windows is still
on OpenGL 1.1 so you lose portability to this platform

- choose OpenGL 1.1 as a common base and query the function pointers
using SDL_GL_GetProcAddress :
http://www.libsdl.org/cgi/docwiki.cgi/SDL_5fGL_5fGetProcAddress

Stephane