[SDL] Fbled equivalent for SDL?

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Thu Jan 27 12:01:16 PST 2005

On Thursday 27 January 2005 07.57, IMU wrote:
> I'm thinking of making the switch from Allegro to SDL. I'm not an
experienced
> graphics programmer by any means and the only thing keeping me is
finding the
> right libraries to do the functions I need.
>
> Fblend: http://sourceforge.net/projects/fblend/ is a library for
Allegro that
> supports fast software color and alpha blending effects. Is there
something like
> this I can find for SDL?

Maybe SDL_gfx...? It has a bunch of MMX optimized image filters and
stuff, as well as the usual" drawing primitives.

 http://www.ferzkopp.net/~aschiffler/Software/SDL_gfx-2.0/

> And another somewhat but unrelated question: Is there a library that
provides
> seamless switching between OpenGl and SDL rendering, supporting both
without me
> having to change my code?

Not sure what you mean by "seamless", but glSDL is probably as close
as you get. It implements the SDL rendering API on top of OpenGL, so
existing applications (at least well written ones) can use OpenGL
acceleration without being recompiled. Applications that are aware of
glSDL and/or has general support for selecting backends can switch
between glSDL and other backends by reopening the display, which is
about as seamless as it gets, I think...

    The old (applications side) wrapper versions:
 http://olofson.net/mixed.html
 http://www.olofson.net/download/

    Experimental SDL lib with the new glSDL backend, glscale and more:
 http://icps.u-strasbg.fr/~marchesin/sdl/SDL12-experimental.tgz

    How to use it (and accelerated backends in general) efficiently:
 http://icps.u-strasbg.fr/~marchesin/sdl/glsdl.html