[SDL] SDL on Mac OS X

Richard Schreyer rws_list at girr.org
Thu Jan 27 10:01:43 PST 2005

Not quite.

What you're actually looking at are two different library types,
Framework vs. dylib (mac os x name for a .so).  Essentially, the Mac OS
X concept of a shared lib vs the unix concept.  Both are usable, and
they will both get you the same functioanlity (ie, native window system).

The dylib/so approach will be most familiar to those from a unix
background.  Put the the sdl dylib in /usr/lib (or /sw/lib if you are
using fink, as you should be).  Headers are put in /usr/include/SDL (or
/sw/include/SDL).  You get these downloading the SDL sources and doing a
configure/make, or using fink.  sdl-config will then be available.

By downloading the Mac OS X dev packages, you got the frameworks.
Frameworks are a directory (named foo.framework), that contain not only
the dylib, but also all the headers, and other supporting files.
Everything related to the framework comes in a single folder, rather
than scattering files between /usr/lib, bin, include, share, etc.  The
frameworks do not include sdl-config, because it is unnecessary.

There was recently a discussion about which is best.  I'm just going to
say go with the Frameworks.  When redistributing your app, place the SDL
and SDL_image frameworks in YourAppBundle.app/Contents/Frameworks.

As for getting SDL_image and SDL_mixer to work, you'll need frameworks
for those too.  If binaries are not available, then you can build them
yourself using xcode.  In the SDL_image,mixer,ttf source distributions,
there is a file, PBProjects.tar.gz, which contains xcode projects to
create these.  Place them in ~/Library/Frameworks for ease of
development, and then put them in AppBundle.app/Contents/Frameworks when
redistributing your binary.

Richard Schreyer