[SDL] SDL and the framebuffer

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Wed Jan 26 04:13:19 PST 2005

On Wednesday 26 January 2005 12.35, Steve B wrote:
> Is SDL capable of using the framebuffer?

Yep, and DirectFB as well. (And IIRC, GGI, which also supports fbdev -
but there's no point in adding another layer, of course.)

> I have played with SDL
> under X11 in the past, however a new project has come up and I hope
> SDL will be part of my solution.
>
> I need to create a custom installer under linux and linux only.
> The installer needs to be able to run under the framebuffer.

Unless you have a custom toolkit for SDL that you want to use, or have
other reasons to use SDL, you might be better off with some GUI
toolkit that runs on fbdev. (MiniGUI, GTK+, QT/Embedded etc...)

> Currently we have a text installer that works pretty good, and my
> hope is that we can create a GUI installer using SDL.. if it
> supports the framebuffer.
>
> Bottomline: Does SDL support programming the framebuffer, and if so
> how should one go about it? perhaps a "Hello World" type example
> including any specefic gcc compile options neccesary.

I don't think there's a need for an example, since fbdev is just
another supported backend. There should be no difference to
applications using SDL. That's pretty much the point with SDL. :-)

However, you'll need to make sure your SDL lib has fbdev support
compiled in. Not sure if it requires anything more than the kernel
headers. (Which should be in place on any Linux system with devtools
installed, I think...)