[SDL] Documentation

Bob Pendleton bob at pendleton.com
Mon Jan 24 07:49:17 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 12:37 +0100, Jakob EKlund wrote:
> Well, I guess you're going to have to learn it without fancy examples,
> just like the rest of us did.
>
> And if that is to hard for you you could try to Google: "SDL tutorial"
> (http://www.google.com/search?hl=sv&q=SDL+tutorial&btnG=S%C3%B6k&lr=)
>
> While your at it, take a dictionary and look up "constructive criticism".
>
> And when you've done those three you can come back and write all the
> examples you see necessary in the DocWiki
> (http://www.libsdl.org/cgi/docwiki.cgi/).
>

> Have a !nice day
> Jakob Eklund

Jakob, please don't take any what I am about to say personally. It wound
up as a reply to your posting because your message made me realize why
several recent postings have been so irritating and is not directed at
you at all.

I think the original posting showed a lack of understanding of the
difference between a community supported project and a commercial
product. If you buy a product and get bad documentation then you have a
right to complain and demand that the documentation be corrected. OTOH,
in a community supported project if you don't like the documentation,
then it is up to you to correct the problem, or go somewhere else.

I have seen a lot of postings recently where people new to the list seem
to be demanding that SDL be changed one way or another, but I haven't
seen much in the way of contributions from those same people. OTOH,
there are new people who contribute every day. They also complain, but
nobody minds that because their complaints are constructive and often
end in patches.

There also seems to be a number of people who expect SDL to be
completely up to date with the absolutely newest hardware and software
with out making any consideration of the cost in both time and hardware
needed to update SDL. To develop and test for 64 bit CPUs requires
owning one. To develop and test for the latest sound cards and video
cards requires owning one and owning a computer that can drive them.
After the developer gets the hardware they then have to spend to time to
do the development and testing. And all of the cost comes out of the
developers lives and the developers pockets. At the very least, if you
are going to complain about lack of support for new hardware you should
be prepared to provide the developer with the hardware you want
supported or be willing to do the work your self.

I'll get off my soap box now.

		Bob Pendleton