[SDL] Re: Linux, OpenGl, VBO and SDL?

Christiane U. cu at cg.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Jan 21 05:05:45 PST 2005

Nicolai Haehnle <prefect_ <at> gmx.net> writes:

> On Thursday 20 January 2005 18:01, Christiane U. wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I want to use VBOs under Linux/C and found some code samples that use SDL
> > to call the functions of the openGL extension.
> >
> > Do you know another way, without SDL? If not, is this the right way to use
> > it?
> > It crashes while calling glDrawArrays :(
> > Any suggestions?
> [snip]
>
> You seem to be very confused. You're mixing GLUT and SDL in the same
> program. Both SDL and GLUT serve the same purpose in this context (namely
> setting up an OpenGL window and rendering context for you), so mixing them
> is a) pointless and b) likely to cause problems like the one you've
> encountered.
>
> cu,
> Nicolai

:-) yes, sorry.

I used glut but I had problems with glext.h and wglGetProcAddress (caused a
seg fault) and so on. Then I downloaded the linux/SDL version from here:
http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=45
and hoped I can use SDL just to load the data to the graphics card.
Ok, no mixing.

I know that's not a good question for an SDL forum, but do you know if it is
possible to use VBOs without SDL :] ?

Thanx for your help
Christiane.