[SDL] Re: SDL under Mac OS X

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Jan 19 16:27:00 PST 2005

On Jan 19, 2005, at 19:18, E. Wing wrote:

>>> There isn't any package for Mac on
>>> http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/ and ../SDL_image/.
>>
>> I could've sworn there was, there is support for building the
>> frameworks in the tarballs, anyway.
>
> There are supposed to be packages for SDL_mixer and SDL_image
> somewhere on the website. I use them myself. I'm also supposed to get
> around to updating their Xcode projects too.
>
> Anyway, I think the original question was how to dynamically link your
> application to SDL (dylib vs framework). Either way works. I
> personally like the framework approach. It's really easy to bundle.
> It's all drag and drop. Just copy the SDL.framework to
> YourProgram.app/Contents/Frameworks
> Check out GLTron or Frozen Bubble. This is how they do it. (Do a "Show
> Package Contents" from Finder to see the directory structure inside
> the app.)

I ported Frozen Bubble.  Pathological, SolarWolf, and Blob Wars are
other SDL ports that I have done, so they also use the frameworks.

Additionally, if you build pygame, it expects to find the frameworks on
Mac OS X.  I don't think it falls back to the dylib versions
automatically (but of course you can convince it to use the generic
unix behavior if you really want to).  This is also "my fault", I don't
have a need to support the regular builds because I don't use them.

-bob