[SDL] Re: SDL under Mac OS X

E. Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 16:18:23 PST 2005

> >> Well, you're mistaken..  The SDL framework isn't missing anything as
> >> far as I can tell.  I've been using them for quite some time.
> >

> If the framework itself isn't installed in the developer package, then
> it's in the runtime package.  So what?

To clarify any possible confusion, we changed what's packaged in the
SDL.framework in the 1.2.8 release. The standard SDL.framework now
contains both the runtime library and the header files. This was done
to bring it in line with Apple conventions. This used to be split into
two frameworks (runtime/headers) which was kind of weird. The header
version went into a user's private framework directory and the runtime
was installed in the system-wide directory. This caused some confusion
with Xcode projects and also caused some headaches for multi-user
systems.

The development package now only contains Xcode/Project Builder
templates and the SDL documentation.

> > There isn't any package for Mac on
> > http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/ and ../SDL_image/.
>
> I could've sworn there was, there is support for building the
> frameworks in the tarballs, anyway.

There are supposed to be packages for SDL_mixer and SDL_image
somewhere on the website. I use them myself. I'm also supposed to get
around to updating their Xcode projects too.

Anyway, I think the original question was how to dynamically link your
application to SDL (dylib vs framework). Either way works. I
personally like the framework approach. It's really easy to bundle.
It's all drag and drop. Just copy the SDL.framework to
YourProgram.app/Contents/Frameworks
Check out GLTron or Frozen Bubble. This is how they do it. (Do a "Show
Package Contents" from Finder to see the directory structure inside
the app.)

-Eric